Book of the Week #4

10:30

ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL

SYNOPSIS:

Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight. 

PERSONAL OPINION:

It's a super fun book which make me laugh at loud and is totally different from what I thought it would be. The story is told by Greg Gaines an ungainly high school senior in Pittsburg, which tells a story full of sarcasm, jokes and a dying girl, about his access in multiple separate groups of the smart kids, the rich kids, the jocks, the stoners, the band kids, the theater kids, the church kids, the gothic dorks, Like he said: "I didn't join any group outright, you understand. But I got access to all of them."  He maintained his reputation low.

He knows Rachel for a long time, but lost contact (this is a polite way of saying that Greg wanted to avoid her all the time until she notices and stop insist) with her until his mom informs him that Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia, but she  forces him into spending time with her to make her feel better. Please note that this story is not the same as "The Fault in Our Stars," here you will not find romance ladies and gentlemen, here is the crude reality told Greg Gaines style. Well, not THAT crude, but Greg's style. You'll see.

I should add that I felt identified with him on some occasions and I have rhinitis, but not chronic. And sometimes while reading I told myself wow, I can not believe it, I'm like that sometimes," but in other parts he was a total jackass (as he told at the start) and I hated him, and made me wonder if I act in that way sometimes. Although Greg is not a bad person, I wish I could meet him.

Upon reaching the epilogue of the book, I do not know why, but I began to cry and then I realized how ridiculous I looked and stop doing it. Anyway, it is a very funny, entertaining but tragic and full of tears story... Totally recommended, really enjoy read it, would I read it again? Of course.

Oh, and I forgot to say that in the story you will find some fragments counted as film script type, which I find extremely original, highly dynamic and explains every situation and time and what the character is doing. You're going to have a good time reading it and you're going to love Earl.

P.S: I Started reading this book because I saw the trailer for the movie and at the end of the trailer I wanted to know more, I had so much questions, wanted to know what happened next?

Want to buy the book? Click here.

***********************************

UN FINAL PARA RACHEL

SINOPSIS:

Greg Gaines tiene diecisiete años, un aspecto que deja mucho que desear y una coraza con la que se protege del mundo. Lo que mejor define su personalidad es una mirada autocrítica y una actitud sarcástica hacia los demás. Su único amigo es Earl Jackson, un chico bastante desabrido, malhablado y con una situación familiar difícil. Los jóvenes nihilistas comparten una pasión por los videojuegos y, sobre todo, por el cine y dedican gran parte de sus tiempo libre a hacer remakes de su películas favoritas. Todo cambia en la vida de Greg cuando su madre le obliga a visitar a Rachel, una chica con leucemia con la que el muchacho tiene un pasado común.

MI OPINIÓN:

Es un libro súper divertido el cual me saco demasiadas carcajadas y es totalmente diferente a lo que pensé que sería. La forma en que Greg relata la historia llena de sarcasmos, palabras crudas y humor verde de su experiencia en la escuela y parte de su vida, en la cual nos relata que existen diferentes grupos (ricos, los raritos, los drogadictos, los deportistas, los góticos…) de los cuales no pertenece aunque a la vez pertenece, mantenía su reputación baja. Es algo complicado de explicar.

Él conoce a Rachel desde hace mucho tiempo, pero perdió contacto (esta es una forma amable de decir que Greg quiso evitarla todo el tiempo hasta que ella cayo en la cuenta y dejo de insistir) con ella hasta que su madre le informa que ella tiene leucemia, pero su madre le insiste en juntarse con ella. Tengan en cuenta que esta historia no es lo mismo que “Bajo la misma estrella”, aquí no encontraran  romance damas y caballeros, aquí es la cruda realidad contada al estilo Greg Gaines. 

Debo agregar que me sentí identificada con él en algunas ocasiones y pues tengo rinitis aunque no crónica. Y en ocasiones me decía mientras leía "woah, no lo puedo creer, así soy a veces", sin embargo en ciertas partes él era un total patán y lo odiabas, y me hacía preguntar si así era yo. Aunque Greg no es una mala persona.

Al llegar al epilogo del libro, no sé porqué pero empecé a llorar y después caí en la cuenta de lo ridícula que me veía y pare de hacerlo. En fin, es un libro muy gracioso, divertido pero a su vez trágica y llena de lágrimas…Totalmente recomendable, la verdad lo disfrute leerlo, ¿lo leería otra vez? Por supuesto que si

Ah y me falto decir que se halla fragmentos en la historia que son contados tipo guión de película, lo cual encuentro súper original, muy dinámico y explica cada situación, personaje y tiempo. No te arrepentirás si lo lees,  te hace pasar buenos momentos y vas a amar a Earl.

P.D: Inicie leyendo este libro porque vi el tráiler de la película y al terminar el tráiler quería saber más, formule muchas preguntas, quería saber ¿que sucedía después? 

¿Quieres comprar el libro? Clickea aquí o aquí.

Bloglovin' |  Pinterest |  Twitter |  Instagram | 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios